Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Chosen for Relationship

Well it's been a while since I have blogged about anything and I've just had something on my mind that I just can't seem to shake myself from. So what do you do? Blog.

I was reading in the book of John chapter 15, verses 1 - 19 and something really jumped out at me. These verses are speaking of our relationship to God and metaphorically comparing the relationship to that of a vine and branches growing from the vine. As I was reading I came to verse 16 which says "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit..." and the first 10 words of that verse struck me. "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you." I was thinking of how powerful just those words alone are but when looked at through the theme of chapter 16-relationship, it seems as if God is saying that we did not choose to have a relationship with Him but rather HE chose US to have a relationship with Him and allowed us the choice to accept His choosing. That just began to blow me away. To think that the Almighty God, Creator of all things good, and ruler of the universe and everything within would CHOOSE me to fulfill His need of relationship. That caused an overwhelming feeling of humility and gratitude in me to think that HE would love us so much that he would choose US to be His sons and daughters, to be close to Him, and to be in relationship with Him.

2 comments:

Bekki said...

Good post Nathan!

I was talking about this subject (kinda) with Erica last night! The scripture that we were discussing was John 6:44 "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him..."

Erin May said...

It's it amazing to know he chose YOU and specifically you.. for a certain purpose? I taught on this subject a couple weeks ago =]